Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Three Suns

Click to Bid

We've had some very unusually dreary weather here in Utah so my outdoor plein air painting days are "on hold" until the weather clears. I decided to bring some color into my life by painting a floral still life, and what better way to grab some color than with sunflowers. They are the best indicator of summer weather so I found some at my local grocery and set up this still life. I already feel better.
This is the third try for these sunflowers and I think I finally got a painting that I like.  Even though the vase is dead smack in the middle, I think the composition works.  The color yellow is a bear to work with because of its relatively light value. Getting those dark yellows to read dark took some trial and error.  Also, not painting every petal was a challenge, since I tend to be detail oriented.

ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunlit Willow

Click to Bid The willow tree is one of my favorites. I love the shape of the tree, it's tiny leaves that glimmer in the sunlight and ...