Friday, July 10, 2015

NEW METHOD

A BIRDING DAY

This painting was done from a photo that I took on a recent birding trip to Buck Creek State Park, near Springfield OH earlier this spring. I'm a sucker for pathways that lead into the woods, and this one was full of dappled light.  I decided to try a different way of painting this one.  I have been following several artist's blogs on one of my favorite web-sites called dailypaintworks.com.  Two artists whose work I really admire, Karin Jurick and Cathleen Rehfield, both use a dark underpainting
to begin their work.  In this painting, I painted the gesso board with black acrylic, which dries quickly, then laid in the oil on top.  I like the way the underpainting shows through in some areas.  I'm not sure I would use this method in every instance, but I liked how this one looks.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunlit Willow

Click to Bid The willow tree is one of my favorites. I love the shape of the tree, it's tiny leaves that glimmer in the sunlight and ...