Monday, September 11, 2017

Art and Aviation


Here are some process shots of my latest painting, painted for a fund raiser to benefit the 2017 US Nationals Aerobatic Competition that will be held at Wittman Regional Airport in Osh Kosh, WI later this month.  

Here is the preliminary sketch showing the iconic arch that  welcomes aviators to the airport.  I included several type of aerobatic aircraft, both bi-planes and mono- planes.
 This photo shows the preparation of the surface.  I used a sectional start for the state of Wisconsin and trimmed it to fit the board I was using.  The Osh Kosh airport is in the lower right and will be visible to the viewer.  The chart was adhered to the board with YES paste and covered in clear acrylic gel medium to seal the paper.  Then I applied several coats of thinned gesso to fade out the map slightly and provide a texture for the oil paint.
 Here is the drawing that was transferred to the board.  After spraying with several coats of fixative,  I was ready to begin the painting process.



Below is the finished painting ready to make its way to Osh Kosh.

2017 US Aerobatic Nationals- Osh Kosh, WI

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunlit Willow

Click to Bid The willow tree is one of my favorites. I love the shape of the tree, it's tiny leaves that glimmer in the sunlight and ...