Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Winter Hike at Silver Lake


The inspiration for this painting is from a photo I took while enjoying a winter hike in Big Cottonwood Canyon near Salt Lake City, UT.  It was a beautiful clear day among the pine forest surrounding Silver Lake.  I loved the sharp shadows cast on the snow and the texture of the trunks of the trees.  This piece is painted on a board that has been under painted in black.  One of the most difficult challenges in painting on black is remembering that colors appear darker because none of the color is reflected back from a light surface.  So many times I have had to lighten my colors to make them read the correct value.  It is a welcome challenge though because I love the graphic look of the completed painting.
ENJOY!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunlit Willow

Click to Bid The willow tree is one of my favorites. I love the shape of the tree, it's tiny leaves that glimmer in the sunlight and ...